“Be Selfless”

'One of the greatest blessings of the Lord, lead my heart to my home, a place filled with love, for my brother, mother and father wait for me'. -- JP



“Be Selfless”
My son Avighna got admission in a new school which was just one km away from our house; he was just six years old. First day of the school, my son positioned himself by the main door of the classroom with butterflies in his tummy. He could see no one in spectacles; he was very much sad and shy with his head down and covered his face with cute little hands. I was telling him, “don’t do that, your new friends will tease you more, so forget about your spectacles”. His innocence was not allowing me to leave the school; I was waiting there until he settles down. I was praying he should not weep after I leave. I was watching him silently, I thought of giving him a small hug to make him feel comfortable, I tried to coax him to change his mood, suddenly, he spoke loudly with major worry “How will I make good friends, Pia?” (we both were like friends, more than mother and son, that's why my son loves to call me 'Pia'). I crouched down in front of him with a smile and an advice which he clutches with him to this day: “Be Selfless”, treat everyone evenly and moderately. There is no good and bad when you select friends, pick up the good behaviour and ignore the bad. For all of my thirty-nine years, I have lived by these words which were inculcated in me by my mother and I passed on the magical words to my little son.

Next day I went to school to drop my little boy, I saw a cute, little girl with a nice baby pink dress and short, she was holding her mother’s hand, looking at my son she soon reminded her mother about her spectacles, my son looked at me with a cute smile, maybe he was happy to find someone with specs like him. She had an extremely round face with cute dimples on her cheeks and a gap in her front teeth. ‘Introduce yourself with your name, I said tenderly to my son, but he didn’t, I repeated the phrase little more slowly, but again he was quiet, he was very shy and timid and above all perplexed, he was holding my hand very firmly, suddenly the little girl speaking quickly in her mother tongue Tamil, I understood what she said, she was telling her mother, Amma, naan ennodu peru chollatamaa, which means “Should I tell him my name”, her mother smiled and nodded with approval, the little one said, ‘My name is “Mythili”, and what is your name? I cajoled my boy this time, my son looked at me and very softly said, ‘My name is “Avighna”. She was chubby, cute and very talkative by nature and my boy the straight opposite; in few weeks they gelled so well and became very good friends.
Days passed, my boy was happy to attend his school. As part of a routine concern I asked my son, ‘How was your day in the school’, he said not as good as earlier, he was missing Mythili. I understand from him that Mythili was unwell and fainted in classroom, must be fever, he added. I thought the monsoon was bothering small children severely so I cut-off the conversation there itself and changed his sad mood to jolly.

One beautiful Sunday I and my son drove to Hyper City, my boy Avi was holding a toy with him a model of a spider man. I was dawdling around the bay, was looking at new arrivals for the monsoon, nevertheless, my son pulled me to the toy section, and there I was getting irritated by the price tag, wondering my boy really play with such pricey toys, just for two days all the fun. Suddenly he saw Mythili in the store and he heaved his cap down on his brow in shy so that she should not see him, I saw him doing that, by the time I could say something this chubby girl Mythili came running towards him and gave him a sweet peck on his cheeks and gave me a cozy baby hug, I always desired for a baby girl and God blessed me with a shy boy (I was wondering how children get attached with someone so quickly, especially a girl child). Mythili was looking very dull and sick; she got dark circle around her eyes, her rosy lips were now slight bluish. She was carrying a long white studded sling bag. I asked her, why you remained absent for the school, are you not well? She didn’t answer me, I asked her, Did you come with your mother? She said tenderly, ‘Yes aunty, with my Amma’, I turned around to see her mother but I couldn’t find her anywhere, my third question, Where is she? Mythili said, she will be at the packing department now and very busy with work, I understand by her talks that her mother was employed with the Hyper City.
Mythili saw a spider man toy with Avi and said she was looking out for the same one for her little brother Raja who was barely three and half years old. My son helped her to select a good spider man toy with remote function, the toy was too costly, around 1250/ rupees, this was indeed a big amount for Mythili’s mother to pay for. I saw the section in charge of toy talking to her dotingly; he must have seen her several times visiting the store with her mother. He said in low tone, "I’m sorry Mythili, you cannot afford this toy. The sweet girl was very sad. My son looked at me with hope in his eyes; he sweetly said, “Pia, I don’t want any toy, can we help her to buy this”. I was happy to hear my son’s mature tone which forced me to give a second thought, I bowed down and I asked her, “Why are you buying such an expensive toy for your brother?” She said, this will be her last birthday with her brother as her heart was very weak and now her heart is not listening to anybody and misbehaving a lot. I couldn’t understand what Mythili was talking about, the toy section in charge told me, her heart is very weak and she need a surgery, I couldn’t believe his words, I went to the packing department to meet Mythili’s mother, hearing from her mother my heart almost clogged beating, she said her husband passed away few months back with liver cirrhosis due to Chronic Hepatic Inflammation and her angel daughter was suffering from bad heart disease since two years. Doctor advised her for a Heart transplantation, but due to lack of donor her chance of surviving is too less. I was really devastated, how can a mother undergo the trauma of losing her dear ones. 
I rushed back to Mythili and gave her a warm hug, I wish I could help her at least, but Mythili really want to depart this life just to meet her loving father, she says, he will be all alone there in the heaven and who will love him like her.  Mythili’s tears rolled down over her cute chubby cheeks, I gazed at her and said, God will help you for sure just think well and be positive. Somehow I feel, I am blessed with an employment and in a pink of health
so that I could help the needy, perhaps, God designed me like this to live for others.
My son told me to buy that toy for Mythili and gift her on her birthday; he said she will not feel bad if we gift her. I was happy with his idea because I was totally against of helping someone out of pity. We bought that toy and got it nicely wrapped with ribbons, I told her we shall gift you this on your birthday so you have to wait, but the girl was so excited she said, “Aunty, just assume today is my birthday and I wish to see a smile on my little brother’s face today itself”. My son Avi snatched the toy from my hand and gave her by saying “Happy Birthday Mythili”. I was stunned how kids behave so mature on a situation; we as an adult take lot of time to place ourselves.

I was done with my shopping in a completely different mood from when I started. I couldn’t get Mythili out of my mind. Just after few days the little Mythili fainted again and was rushed to the Hospital. I got a message through one of her relative who placed with them during their thick and thin days, I reached hospital, after a thorough check-up Doctor came out and informed us that Mythili’s condition is very bad and probably she will die soon. I called up all my contacts to find a Heart donor, some hospitals where charging too much and many not matching with her blood group. I assured Mythili’s mother that I will be there with her for any help; however I was helpless. I was praying hard, God, please find a kind “Heart” for Mythili, her mother smiled and said, “You are indeed very sweet and kind hearted”. In grief I left the place, my tears rolled down, sensing that my existence has been changed forever…

I was at home for many days, my heart was with Mythili, but I couldn’t visit hospital as Avi was down with high temperature, even a child can fall sick feeling the sorrow. After a week I visited hospital to see Mythili, I was amazed and happy to know that Mythili got treated and she bounce back to normalcy. In excitement I asked the Doctor how you found a donor so swift. He didn’t utter a word, with a sad face he just handed me a letter from Malini, Mythili’s mother, it says: My dear daughter Mythili, my heart says who are reading this letter; I was not sure whether I will be able to give you a new life. It is very difficult for me to live a life without my sweet daughter and loving husband, and I will miss you on your birthday’s; I would never like to see you in tears, so I decided to gift you my ‘Heart’ as a lifetime gift for you. I am very sure you will always love yourself to keep your mother happy and alive within you. Take care of your little brother and mould him as a good human being, and don’t worry I will be with you to guide you and help you so that you can help others without any hesitation. I was very sad for Malini, and happy for Mythili.

Mythili and her little brother Raja was adopted by her relative and moved to Thanjavur, formerly Tanjore, Chennai. 

“Selfless sacrifices are always made by our parents; they keep us happy throughout their life. Respect and worship your Parents, because you don’t know what they had sacrificed for you. One must always extend help to those in necessitate and distress. God has given us Enough Money, Enough Food, Enough Clothing and Many Shelters, then why we “are short of” when the time comes to share”.

One day my son Avighna will modify in to a true human being
and become a piece of an actual world and on that foremost day,
fearfully facing new responsibilities he will speak kindly to himself
with just two words:
“Be Selfless”.

Comments